Sunday, August 05, 2007

Please say this isn't goodbye

After a relatively busy Saturday, I braced myself against the FREEZING weather (note Goose, Paul and Ros: it is definitely NOT Neighbours weather in Melbourne in winter at all!! :) ) to head to the Rivoli to watch Sicko.

Josh came with me (he's always up for a political film these days!) and we were very excited about relaxing and letting Mike Moore entertain us for two hours.

Hmmmm... well despite laughing and giggling a fair bit through it (its actually quite hilarious) I came blinking out of the cinema kind of pissed off. Maybe not so much pissed off as disgruntled.

Disgruntled? I hear you ask. Are you 76 years old, Lauren? I also hear you ask.

No. I'm only 26. 26 and worried what is happening to our beautiful country :(

I love Australia. I love it so much. It is my lifeblood, it is hot and magnetic and cold and spooky. There are ghosts and spirits in the trees, the rocks the sand... there is a life in the air that hangs between mountains and hovers in gullies. It pulls people in and they never get out.

I love this land so much I will implode or explode, whichever way the red earth will take me.

But this land, as a nation... I am not so sure.

Last night I learnt about the British NHS, the French health system, the Cuban health system, Canadian one too.

But they couldn't put our beautiful country on, because our government has failed us. The changes Howard has made to our public health mean that we pay EXTRA taxes for our health system, and then we have to pay again for the services. Therefore, there is no public health in Australia anymore. It is just partly subsidised. They are hoping to make it a completely private health system.

Everything that our grandparents and great grandparents fought for, is disappearing before our eyes.

The foundations of paradise are crumbling.

No comments: