Sunday, August 26, 2007

It's really good being a Good Girl

The sky was what I inaccurately call Yogo blue, the breeze was warm and things were looking very, very bright in every sense of the word.

iPod in hand, sneakers on and hair in ponytail I set off on my walk in the sunshine. One block away I saw a wallet lying forlornly on the ground.

I picked it up, and unwilling to sacrifice my rare spurt of excercise enthusiasm by heading back I continued on my way. I looked inside and noticed all the credit cards, debit cards, driver's license and a key. I have lost many a purse and know only too well the panic and annoyance it causes and when arrived home I rang the bank straight away to let them know I had their client's wallet.

I got a phone call soon after, and spoke to a very grateful man who promised me a hefty reward in whatever form I liked.

But you know, I don't do 'the right thing' because I expect a reward. The feeling of doing something good for someone is addictive. Maybe ultimately it's even a selfish act for that reason. But his gratitude was reward enough.

I left the wallet in the letter box cos I was heading out, and got a text message later, thanking me and promising to 'take [me] and all my friends out and shout lots of rounds of drinks!'

Maybe that's my good karma right there! Just for being a really good Good Girl!

1 comment:

lisa said...

Loz, you're awesome. I'm so glad I discovered your blog. Thanks for your comment, it meant a lot xxx