Thursday, August 23, 2007

Growing up/growing up and towels.

When do you feel grown up? And, more to the point, when are you grown up? It's definitely not a case of you turn 18 and there you have it (I am living proof of that).

At my mum's house (and my aunties' and nanas' houses) they have towels. They have towels that are neatly folded, ample in supply, are crisp yet soft and smell like they've just come off the line from being in the sun. For some bizarre reason, towels are so comforting to me. They say to me 'grown up, organised and able to look after others'.

There's quite a few towels at my house. Towels in the bathroom, towels in the laundry basket, a few in the cupboard. But they're not like my mums. So I don't feel grown up. I've had little moments of organisation where I HAVE felt grown up, I provided a spare room with clean towels for my guests for a year. But I am always behind, always need something to be clean, always stressing over dust and grime, always tired, always not enough energy to run a complete life.

So I am most certainly not grown up. But I want to be because I am so old now.

No comments: