Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Because there is always room for more love in this crazy world

Ever since I've had the capacity to know, I've known that I'm a girl who loves to love.

I love everything. Animal, vegetable or mineral, you name it - my heart will ache with love for it. I worry at times about this bottomless cup of coffee that is my supply of love, because it hurts me so much as well.

My eyes fill with tears at anything to do with the RSPCA, when old people are bashed, when I see someone cry. I crumble at the most un-amazing amazing things.

The year 7 co-ordinator has a plan - each yr 7 homeroom will be rewarded with an afternoon of pizza and a movie if they stay code-of-conduct (like a warning) free for 3 weeks.

Easy peasy, I thought, my homeroom is full of angels. Little well-behaved, angelic baby girls.

But disaster struck on Tuesday. I was informed by a tiny little girl that one of the other girls had been given a code.

'What?!' I asked, bewildered, 'What for? And who got it?'

The tiny girl pointed to her equally tiny friend, who was verging on tears.

'I left my maths book in my bag.'

The class of tiny people watched me for my response. So this is it, I thought, this is why a lioness fights for her cubs. This is why a magpie swoops. Because for some of us, love is what we do.

'That's a silly reason, and it should never have happened,' was my reassuring response, as I mentally beat down my heartache for these little, well-meaning people.

My love is so often inconvenient and overwhelming, but at least it's endless, and I can't apologise or resent that.

1 comment:

lisa said...

Aww, that's so sweet! A few months ago, I was talking to a friend about a previous break-up, which led to a discussion about "selfish love" and "selfless love". It sounds like you love selflessly - for the betterment of other people - rather than selfishly, which is more to make yourself feel better. Kudos to you :)